“God Will Move Into New Mission” declared newspaper man Glenn Shelton on April 14, 1958. Reverend Dick Hogan stepped out in faith to open a homeless shelter without any capital to fund the ministry. In 1958 Faith City Mission came into being on 7th and Ohio St., Wichita Falls, above Hornsby Heavy Hardware. The ministry was a branch effort of a mission with the same name in Amarillo, Texas. In the beginning, ministry was only for transient men. Rev. Dick and Bee Hogan, the founders of both the Amarillo and Wichita Falls missions, personally worked at the Ohio street facility in its early years. The sign above the door told struggling people, “If you are hungry, do not beg or steal. Come eat with us.”
In 1963, the mission’s leaders realized there were no rooms to meet the needs of families. The leaders started praying and developing plans to increase the services to minister to families. In 1967 Rev. Jim Cook becomes the superintendent. Mr. Cook helped expansion of Faith City Mission.
In the spring of 1968, the Mission purchased the old Lamar Baptist Church building (known at the time as Downtown Baptist). This building was located at Fourth and Lamar Streets and would be the Mission’s home for the next twenty years. In the spring of 1974 ministry to children began with a family community center being established. In August of that year, Gordon “Pete” and Sharen Smith came to work with Jim Cook, and in January of 1975 the Smiths assumed full operations.
As programs and services grew, it became evident a larger facility was needed and property was purchased at our current location on Travis Street and construction began. The current Faith Mission shelter at 1300 Travis Street opened on May 23, 1988.
With the increased space and increasing donations, the ministry was able to provide a new addiction program called Overcomers Recovery Program. The mission started combating homelessness by offering this recovery program. The recovery program continues this day under the name New Beginnings.
To address the needs of the growing number of homeless women and families, a second shelter was added. Faith Refuge opened on May 7, 2012 with 17 women and seven children moving in. This new $4.4 million facility is located at 710 E. Hatton Rd. and was built debt free with the support of local partnerships and friends across the nation. The Faith team gives God the glory for providing the resources to complete the new shelter.